Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy 2nd Birthday Eva Grace!!!





Happy birthday Eva Grace!  I cannot believe my little girl is 2.  Time surely does fly.  I remember like yesterday the moment I saw her for the very first time.  Rob brought her over to me and it was so surreal to finally have her here.  She is so much fun.  She’s talking up a storm and it cracks me up with the things she says.  She’s definitely growing into her own personality.  It’s also hard to believe that another year has started.  2009 seemed to go by so fast.  I had a good time at a friend’s annual New Year’s Eve party.  This year it was a 70’s theme and the costumes were hilarious!  January 24th we added a new member to our family.  My brother, Aaron, and his wife, Shelly, welcomed a baby boy Cole Robert.  He is an absolute doll and his big sister, Megan, is very proud! :)  Of course my girls couldn't wait to see him and Eva wanted to hold him all the time.  She's such a good helper! :)  The end of December a reporter from The Washington Post flew up and wrote an article about me and this blog.  I didn’t expect for the story to be so huge.  Before I knew it, the story was in different newspapers all over the country!  It was even in the Stars and Stripes newspaper which is a military paper.  A classmate from highschool is in Iraq and saw it on the front page.  He mailed home at least 20 copies for me to hand out to family and friends.  J  I also have been contacted by the BBC in London and have done 3 live TV interviews with them over the phone and other news stations around the country.  I’m not quite sure how this blog became so huge.  However, I do know that it makes me extremely proud to have as many followers as I do.  Although there are some “anti-war/soldier/Americans” still in America, this proves to me how many Americans (and even those in different countries) truly love America and support our troops.  I have no doubt that Rob lost his life for a good cause (and he also believed in the cause) but also knowing how many Americans truly support our troops, helps make this more bearable.  And the support I have received from this blog over the past 16 months since Rob’s injury and subsequent death, has kept me moving forward.  The support has been phenomenal.  God has blessed me over and over.  I truly pray that my blog has reached someone in a similar situation and has helped them.  In the beginning, my intentions for the blog were to show Rob how much he improved and to share this story with our girls someday.  But now, seeing how many people are interested in my story, I hope to bring comfort and hope to others.  

12 comments:

edie & ella said...

That is how I found your blog. Your story was in our local newspaper.... The Press Democrat here in Santa Rosa, CA.......SAM

Jodee said...

Happy birthday to your sweet girl! Cute pictures! Welcome to the Terrible Two's!

The Bender's said...

Oh Dena, you have done that and more...hope, inpsiration, growth in and for some coming to Christ. I think we think we are in control in this World and then something like this happens and we realize just how much we aren't....but what is so beautiful about you, your family are many things but most is that HOPE you have brought so many that God, Himself originally gives to You, to me, to us! Thank you for being a shining example of His love and commitment to Him.
And to Eva Grace - Happy Birthday Sweet Girl! Someday you will realize just how much of a miracle baby of His, of your Mommy and Daddy's you are in so many ways. We love you dear girl and thinking of you today, I can't help but hear your unique giggle all the way here in Ohio, as if you were right here! We love you all!
God Bless You,
The Bender Bunch

Nancy said...

I'm so glad you have this blog to keep us posted- I love seeing your gorgeous girls and I KNOW you've provided many many people with an avenue to see just what some military families go through. xox

AFSister said...

awwwww... STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE! I love it. Happy Birthday, Eva Grace! I'm sure your Daddy is watching from above.

Major Pain (milblogger and Marine) deployed to AFG a couple of years ago and I sent him a Strawberry Shortcake doll I had pinned a "Suck it up, Cupcake!" sign to her dress. hehe... Nothing like sending a dolly to a Marine.

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 02/02/2010 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

Nancy said...

P.S.- How, oh how did I forget to add HAPPY BIRTHDAY to sweet Eva?! :) Hope you had a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Those are cute girls. Thanks for sharing them with the world!

Kanani said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet girl! It is a pleasure to cruise by and note the progress of you and your girls. All of you are, forever, in our hearts.

Joel said...

I read about your blog in The Washington Post and have been following it since. You are such an incredible inspiration and such a beautifully strong woman.

Whatever you feel about the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan is really not the issue. What is important is to support our troops and their families. What they have done, and continue to do, for our nation is never to be forgotten. We will owe them our gratitude always.

May God continue to bless you and your family!

Kim Decker said...

Dena,

I was just thinking about you and the girls and Rob today and I just wanted to let you know how much you all are loved. Sending you hugs from Kansas!!!

Sincerely,
Kim

SPC Nash said...

Maam, My name is Nathan Nash. I worked for Cpt. Rob when he took over B Troop and throughout the deployment in the TOC. He was such a great person, a really down to earth guy. So many good memories of him in the little time he was apart of my life. From pouring mustard on his head at the BBQ before our deployment to the controlled choas that took place in the TOC the first few times our base was under contact. I will always remeber the things he tought me and the mental picture of him sitting in his chair in the TOC sipping on his coffee mug with the picture of your two daughters. I will never forget him. You and your daughters are in my prayers every night.

sincerly,
SPC Nathan Nash