Sunday, March 15, 2009

Making a home

As I'm sure you can all guess by the lack of me writing recently, I've gotten moved into our new house.  We finished the wood floors Wednesday evening just in time for the movers to come the next morning!  We didn't think we'd get it done, but I was very determined, and by golly, we did! :)  Anyways, you really forget just how much stuff you have in your place until the movers keep taking it off the truck.  Just when I thought I had everything in it's place, my parents would come over with a bunch more things that I accumulated at their house.  So, I'd find a place for those, take a sigh of relief, and then wouldn't you know it, my brothers would come with a bunch of things I had left at their houses!!!!  But, amazingly enough with a lot of help from my family and friends (and staying up VERY late nights!!), 10 days after the movers arrived, I've gotten everything (I think!!) in it's place, curtains up, accessories bought, pictures on the wall,  and able to fully live in it without tripping over boxes.  The only place that we still have to do is the garage.  Rob always did that and besides a screwdriver and a few other tools, I don't know what 90% of his garage things do (and he has a LOT of them).  So, my dad is going to do that part and show me where to find things.  Of course, there are a few rooms that I still need to "perfect" but I can't do everything now because then I can keep my mind busy doing them on other days.  I didn't go through Rob's things yet.  They're in their own boxes in a store room.  I need to give that time.  Although I feel like this house is finally feeling like a home, there's still a HUGE void in it.  I know he's gone but when I see him in pictures, it makes it feel like he's still alive.   Of course I want pictures up of my husband and the girls' daddy up, but they also make me sad.  I hope in time, that feeling lessens.  On another note, Eva finally decided to start walking!!!  She's been taking a few steps here and there for several weeks, but now she's walking around more and more.  It's so cute watching her because she looks like a drunken sailor! :)  I continue to thank God for my girls.  They definetly keep me busy and with all the firsts they will be doing, it helps keep my mind off of things.  Well, I'm really tired and so I'll end here.  I'll try to write again soon (especially now that I finally have internet at my home!)

20 comments:

jaywalker said...

Dena - good for you! I hope you can feel at "home" soon but I know the simple act of laying the floors will help. Praying for you today...
Jessica (Soldiers Angels from Germany)

kayokat said...

Hi Dena,
Good to hear you guys are getting settled into your new home. Congrats on that! My hat is off to you for sure! Laying hard wood floors??? You continually amaze me!
Katrina

Anonymous said...

Yay for new houses! Yay for wood floors! Yay for baby steps!

Household6 said...

So glad you are getting all settled! Please, please, please post pictures!!

Heather

Unknown said...

Great that you and the girls have the house setup to make it homey. I heard a good former Signal person also helped set up your wireless communications network. At least she was awake for that portion of class versus my briefing.

Take care and God bless. :-)

Liz said...

Such a trooper!! Can't wait to see pics. We think of you all the time.

Nancy said...

Yea internet at your house, yea for new floors, yea for having ALL your stuff, and yea for Eva walking!!!! Woo Hoo! You've had so much going on, I hope you have time to relax a little and enjoy your new home.

I'm thinking about you all the time and all the changes and adjustments your family is going through- I know it's tough, but I also know that you will continue to deal with things with the same grace and strength you have up to this point. You are doing a wonderful job, Dena.

xox

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dena! You and your family ROCK!! God Bless you all and your new home. And know that Rob continues to smile down and guard over you all. In time, we pray the healing is mostly and the pain is less.

Love to all,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Well welcome to your new home. I know it must be such a load off your shoulders having everything(for the most part) in it's place. I know that feeling. And if your anything like me, you'll have moved stuff around in a month or so. And just like everyone else, can't wait to see pictures of your home, and of course, the wood floors. Your doing so wonderful. I'm sure it is a hard road, but your not alone. Take care Dena. God bless you and your family.
lacey c

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Dena! I have been reading about your whole journey since day one. You have made alot of progress. I admire your positive outlook. I pray for you and the girls often! I am soo excited that little Ava is walking! My 14 month old is walking and I know all about the "drunkn' sailor" walk! I love it! I will continue to pray for you and the girls!

Anonymous said...

Dena, it's so good to hear that you're getting settled in your new place. May God strengthen you through this time. You are one AMAZING woman!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your momentum! I'm happy to hear that you have finished your floor project and that the house is slowly becoming a home. It is a treasure that you get to unearth for years to come. I'll keep my prayers coming your way!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new home! I hope you, Eva, and Julia have years and years of warm memories in your home. Christian and I think of you often and it is so nice to read the blog to see how you are doing.
Take care,
Shanna

Sue Wolf said...

Hi Dena,
It's so good to hear how well you & the girls are doing in your new home. I've been praying for you ever since Nicole S. told me of Rob's passing. I'm her stepmom. Please keep Nicole in your prayers as she's dealing with being a single parent right now.
Blessings,Sue

About The Caddo Tribe said...

We are happy that you have gotten settled into your new house. We continue to keep you and your girls in our prayers everyday.

Shani Ginani

Long-time RN said...

Congratulations on getting so much done before the movers arrived! Wow! What team work!

Good reading you're settling into your new home. Lots of adjustments and emotions involved. Prayers for continued strength in moving forward and during the times the void weighs heavy.

Yeah Eva!

Unknown said...

Dena, you and the girls are in my thoughts. I am so proud of you laying floors!!! I love you all so much. Please give Julia love from her Pre-k teacher. Peggy

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked your blog for awhile, but have thought of you all. Congratulations on getting settled in!

Jaime Pachta said...

Hi Dena,
Glad to hear that you all getting settled in your new house. Before you know it, it is going to feel right like home for you and the girls. I follow your website, and even though I haven't left a message for you in a while, I still think of you often and keep you in my prayers that all will continue to go well for you. I was thinking WOW- all of your stuff unpacked in 10 days!!!! That's amazing!!! Glad to hear that Eva is walking. That stage is so much fun! Enjoy it because it goes so fast! Keep your head up high and stay strong! You are one brave person. Take Care. Love, Dan, Jaime, Ashley, Nicolas, & Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Dena.. Thinking about you and your family everyday and am so happy you're settling in to your new home. You're doing such a great job. I'm definitely in awe. Keep the faith and know that we are all praying for you and the girls. Can't wait to see the pictures too!

Julie
Soldiers' Angels