Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy 8th Birthday Julia!






Yesterday was Julia's birthday.  It's so hard to believe my little girl is now 8.  I remember 8 years ago being in labor and having to go for an emergency c-section after 25 hours (with NO pain medication--yeah, don't know what I was thinking!).  I was completely out of it but mom later told me that Rob was so upset and scared seeing me in so much pain.  As they wheeled me to the c-section room, he told my mom that he never wanted to do this again.  Mom reassured him that once he held our little girl in our arms, it would all be worth it.  She was right.  One of our friends told me after Rob died that the day after Julia was born, they came to see us.  Rob was in the hallway and told them that he already loved being a dad.  And what a great dad he was!  This weekend we had a birthday party for Julia.  Our family came over and everyone had lots of fun.  Thank goodness for our trampoline because the kids were on there the whole time--Julia even opened her gifts on it!  lol  Then yesterday after school, we drove out to Osceola.  We stopped at the cemetary so Julia could release a balloon.  It's so surreal every time I go there.  I absolutely can't believe that Rob's spot is covered in grass and is no longer a large mound.  It makes me realize just how much time has passed.  He died 9 months ago today.  Crazy.  As Julia released her balloon, we watched it float high in the sky.  When we looked away for a second and looked back, we could no longer see it.  I asked Julia "Do you think Daddy grabbed it?"  "Yep" she said.  I, too, felt that he had.  On the way out of the cemetary, Julia said to me in the most innocent and excited voice "Wouldn't that have been cool if the balloon had carried us up there too?  Then when daddy got it, he would have said 'What a surprise!  I wasn't expecting you guys here!'  And then I would let go of the balloon and run to him yelling 'DADDY!!!!!' "   This hit me like a load of bricks.  I pictured how excited she would be if Rob were to miraculously come back to us.  It made me so sad.  But, then, it also reinstated the fact she knows she will see her daddy again someday.  I know Rob is looking down so proud of his little girl.  She is so smart and sweet.  

14 comments:

Shanna Brodbeck said...

I love reading your posts. I can't believe how much Julia has grown! She is such a special girl. I remember tailgating with you, Rob, and Julia and it started raining, Julia put her hand over her head and just stated "This is bothering me!" with lots of emphasis on the word "bothering", so cute. Thanks for sharing!

Shanna

Anonymous said...

we're still praying for you and your family, Dena.

Traci Turner

Heather said...

Wow, what a great post! Happy Birthday to dear Julia a few days late! I agree with your thoughts that Rob did grab that balloon - he wanted to be a part of the celebration too. While it is difficult to imagine him not there in physical form, he is there in spirit and Julia knows that. He'll continue waiting with God until the day he is surprised to see you all again!

Heather in Helena, MT

Nancy Christian said...

What a beautiful little woman you have on your hands! She is the beauty of both of your love and that is a precious gift indeed. You're doing a wonderful job with them both.

All of our love,

The Andrews Fisher House Gang

Mike from Topeka, KS said...

Dena:
What a wonderful end for Julia's
8th birthday. Letting the balloon go to Rob was such a neat way to stay connected with him. You are right, she knows she will see him again. What a blessing to know that those of us who never met him, will get to know him and spend eternity with him. I'm still praying for you and the girls.

brat said...

The wisdom of children... I am SURE that Rob grabbed the balloon, just as I am sure he is with you all every single step of the way.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Julia. I know your daddy is so proud of you.

Bless you all.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday,Sweet Julia!

Dena, I think of you and pray for you often. You are doing such a marvelous job with your girls.

Love,
Karen M

The Bender Bunch said...

Julia is amazing and at 8, as always, will keep everyone on their toes! :) What a beautiful testiment to having Faith at such a young age. And you Dena, continue to amaze with your amazing ability to find such wonderful strength to move forward one day at a time. Kisses to all you sweet girls!

Love you Yllescas Girls,
Karen, Craig, Logan and Zach

About The Caddo Tribe said...

Still praying for you and your family everyday.

Shani

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 09/02/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

Threehourtour said...

Happy Birthday to Julia. What a wonderful little girl you and Rob created. Such a blessing from you both. Love, support and prayers for you all.

Jana L Robins Sirois said...

I wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and the girls. Hope all is well with all of you. My son returned safely and I know it had a lot to do with the training he received with your husband. I will forever be grateful. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
Jana L Sirois

AFSister said...

OK... I read Rob's birthday post with a sniffle, and this one with an outright sob. Children make all the difference in the world, don't they?

Me said...

She is growing into a beautiful young woman!! She is gorgeous just like her mom! Happy Birthday Julia!! SHe is right about Rob! Children remind us to what is most important. Hugs to a beautiful family!