Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cooling blanket off!

Well, one of the good things that happened today is that Rob was able to get his cooling blanket off. His temps have remained stable the past couple of days. It was a vest that was worn around his back and stomach that's he's had since he got here almost 3 weeks ago!! I'm sure it feels great to him without it on. The bad news is he has a fungal infection in his blood. This infection can be EXTREMELY bad. However, since his kidney funtions are back to normal, they are able to give him a really potent dose of antibiotics to help get it cleared up. So, we need LOTS of prayers for this. His white blood cell count is elevated but the doctor thinks it could be from the surgeries since his temps have been ok. It's hard to tell with all the surgeries he's having. So, hopefully these surgeries will end soon!! Rob's been pretty grumpy today. He absolutely hates having other people caring for him. He's always been the type of person who's been extremely self sufficient. I just keep telling him this is only temporary and he'll be able to do his own things soon. I think the most frustrating part of his recovery will be how slow of a process it will be. But, I explained to him that in the whole aspect of our life, this is only a nano-second. It was cute because today the moms made me leave his room to get lunch. Rob, saw me outside his room talking to the nurse before I left and he was NOT HAPPY that I was leaving. The nurse said "Look. He's even pouting his lips!" So, I reassured Rob that as soon as I finished eating, I'd be RIGHT BACK! :) I have to say, it made me feel pretty good. Anyways, Monday is another surgery for his skin grafts. Let's also pray that this goes well and they can get it all done Monday.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!!! I feel that it will be more ups than downs going forward. I know that your families will have a very blessed Thanksgiving next week. Prayers from Atlanta!!! The Yeagers

Anonymous said...

Dena,

You have my extra prayers tonight in regards to the infection that Rob has! Keep strong and know you have a large network of people praying for Rob's recovery.

Even though Rob was pouting when you left, I am sure that made you feel good. It's always nice to be appreciated, even if it is only a little thing!

Love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Dena and Rob,
Just a quick message to reinforce to you that everyone who knows you or of you in Osceola, NE is holding you in prayer.

It was so good to talk to your mom this afternoon and to your dad yesterday. I know that he is anxious to get to you with your precious little girls.

Good news that the cooling blanket is off. I just know that it won't be long and you will write that the blood fungus is also history!

Blessings,
Charles & Jane

Anonymous said...

Rob, Dena,
Rob, you've been amazing in this fight and you'll battle the fungus and WIN! I'm sure Dena's presence gives you strength and courage to keep on fighting, we are so proud of her. She has been so wonderful about keeping this blog updated. We are always thinking and praying for you. I'm sure Jenny's visit is very special to you too, knowing how much she loves her brother and wants you on the mend!
Thank-you to the moms and Otto, you are all very important in Rob's recovery.
Prayers from Cathy Bell

Anonymous said...

Dena and Rob, He has come along way and i know that he'll beat this infections. Hang in there my prayers are with you. Love Carol

Anonymous said...

Dena and Rob,

Every day seems more encouraging. I agree, Rob has been through so much I'm sure the fungal infection will be a thing of the past soon. We will continue to pray. I'm glad Jenny was able to get back to see Rob. Thanks again Dena for keeping us updated. Everyone at work logs on and we have a "Rob" discussion at work. Even the Dr.'s I work with. I also continue to get calls for a Rob update from the many people and churches who pray for him daily just around me. I can't even imagine how many people on a daily basis are praying for all of you.

Always in my thoughts and prayers,

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Dena and Bev,

It was so reassuring for us to speak with both of you today. Your faith and positive attitudes are so inspirational. All day our prayer focus for Rob has been that the nasty blood fungal infection will just be gone and leave the doctors marveling about that. God is good.

Much love,
Aunt Joyce and Uncle Doug

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the fungal infection. I know I have told you this before, but I really do like it when you tell us specifically what is going on- so we know where exactly to channel our thoughts, prayers and energy toward... you are doing a great job with the updates, and a great job supporting Rob. Super wife Dena! xox

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Dena, just hearing the love in your voice makes me SO happy!! You two are going to make it, I know - tell Rob to be patient - I know he doesn't want to hear that, but he's a fighter, and we're praying REALLY, REALLY HARD for you all!!

Love,
Trish
Rome, Georgia

Anonymous said...

Dena: It is so wonderful that you are surrounded (both physically and through prayer) by so many caring people. God has his loving arms wrapped around Rob and all of you who are caring for him daily. Bless all of you and keep the faith. Our prayers keep coming.

Love,
Aunt Jo, Uncle Steve, Brooke & Ashley

Anonymous said...

Dena... You don't know me but your Mom does. I am Jaime (Nicolas) Pachta's mom ...Dan is my son...I have been following your articles and cry every time I read them. I am recovering from a 12 1/2 hr. total back fusion ...it's been two months and still can't do squat....but after reading what Rob has to go thru I shut up and don't feel sorry for myself anymore. Dena, we have you in prayer and today at our church here in Bellwood Fr. Courtney and the whole congregation prayed for Rob and your family. We ask God daily to keep improving Rob. Dena know we love you and keep your chin up ,,,you are doing a great job. Love ya, Fran and John Pachta

Anonymous said...

This morning I talked at service about what Rob and you are going through and asked for help through prayer. I told them about Rob's injuries and what had happened. It was so powerful and afterward three older veterans came up to me at separate times and offered further support and prayer. My favorite was a story the last one told me about a great friend of his who lost one leg during active duty and got around great on a prosthetic. He then lost the other leg to diabetes; when the doctor fitted him for the second prosthetic he said 'now you're not gonna be able to do much on this right away'. The veteran said to me "That old critter said 'watch me' and walked right out of the office on both of em." It reminded me of Rob's attitude and perseverence the way you describe it. Sending prayers that the infection clears quickly...God is good!